Cambridge, the one in New Zealand, has been in the news lately. Last weekend saw the Royals (William and Kate, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge) come for a visit. Well actually to open the national cycling centre among other appointments. The entire town was decked with the Union Jack and other trappings and trimmings of the English realm. There was even a contest among the shops for the best decor.
The youth whom I support has this Tuesday gig called work experience. He works with the volunteers of the Cambridge Tree Trust, a dynamic group of retirees tasked with caring for the trees, shrubs, and greenery of the town. I even saw a sign in one of the parks stating that Cambridge is the "city of trees." I don't know the veracity of that one but I definitely can say that trees are plentiful in this town.
There is something about trees that uplifts the spirits. The smell of the forest, the whispering of the leaves as the air weaves through and sometimes even the silence deafening as it maybe is also uplifting. One can feel the earth's heartbeat in the forest. Trees are important for mankind's survival.
I was able to plant at least 10 saplings. I memorised the spot where I planted them, for I would like to visit and see how they're doing. As I was bending, shovelling, digging and planting, I recalled my youthful years on the farm with my brothers and grandfather. We were planting different kinds of fruit and ornamental trees from the ones I did this morning, but the concepts and principles were the same.
And as we drove away from the park I started to recall the poem Trees by Joyce Kilmer, "I think that I shall never see, a poem lovely as a tree. A tree whose hungry mouth is prest, against the earth's sweet flowing breast. A tree that looks at God all day, and lifts her leafy arms to pray. A tree that may in summer wear, a nest of robins in her hair. Upon whose bosom snow has lain, who intimately lives with rain. Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree."
No comments:
Post a Comment